14 August, 2011

A REASON TO CARE

August 14th, 2011

Ok, I’m going to confess.
Last year, I had run out of desire to rant about the Panthers by November.

Come on, how much more vitriol could I possibly heap on a situation that was bad, getting worse, and becoming simply unbearable to watch, either on TV, or in that mausoleum of a stadium that OUR PSL’s built? How many more ways can you say “WE SUCK!!!” ??? It’s not my nature to be a pessimist, nor is it healthy for me to spend a whole lot of time focusing on the negative.

Combined with a battle for computer time with my academic-obsessed younger daughter, I acquiesced the seat at the desk to her, while the very WORST TEAM in Carolina Panther history took the field, if you can call it that.

If you want to argue about which season was worse, the 1-15 Sei-fart debacle, or this abortion of last year, you won’t have many supporters for your choice of the 2001 cat-tastrophe. At LEAST the 1-15 Panthers were competitive – They COULD score, but the defense couldn’t stop anyone. This abomination? Totally, 100% UNWATCHABLE.

So, as the debris of the season settled into the field of Jerry World, with the Green Bay Packers decisively delivering an intense gluteal discomfort to those Pissburgh Squeelers, and subsequently hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, I turned my attention to the NCAA basketball season, and watched with joy as the Mighty Tar Heels renewed my sports enthusiasm, and kept the Panthers and the NFL on the periphery, if at all.

And the news was less than stellar – The “savior” of the franchise, one Andrew Luck, as our “luck” would have it (bad pun VERY intended) decided to stay at Stanford, while a long-time candidate that was always denied a head coaching position FINALLY got his opportunity - WITH US. And to Ron Rivera’s misfortune, he came on just in time for a long, contentious owner-generated lockout that effectively wiped out the OTA’s that train and hone all NFL players in the offseason. Pardon me if I’m not tingling with excitement at the prospect of a long time coordinator, always the bridesmaid, never the bride, taking the keys from Uncle Jerry to a jalopy of a football team, that would be crippled even further by a work stoppage.

And surprisingly, I found myself not bothering to care.

Begrudgingly, I renew my season tickets, knowing that we could be looking at another suck-fest of a season. Add to that that there were no clear-cut can’t miss opportunities with the #1 pick our franchise-worst season awarded us. The only great thing coming out of Draft Day was the PantherFanz Party Prowler winning first place in the first annual Pride Rides completion, and deservedly so. With so many fans, divided on who should be our top choice, it was no surprise to hear the moaning and groaning over the selection of Auburn one-year-wonder Cam Newton, who by the way, also won college football’s over-hyped John Heisman trophy as well as guiding his Tigers to the mythical National Championship. So many times I have seen Heisman Trophy winners flame out in the NFL, so I met the announcement with a “meh” kind of attitude. Having been beaten down from last season, this wasn’t nearly enough to generate the kind of excitement that would have me counting down the days to kickoff, much less zipping down to Wofford to get an early look at the team my PSL’s pay for…

So, with the lockout ended, and a new collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners, a new season beckons. And the one thing I truly, truly, want is –

Simply.

A reason to care.

A reason to look forward to Sundays, to look forward to committing an entire morning and afternoon of my life at Bank of America Stadium. A reason to consider a televised away game to be regarded as an event not to be missed. Never mind the wins and losses, I want to see MY Panthers competitive. To play with a chip on their shoulder. To play like they care. I want to be able to forget the “F YOU” season of last year, where Uncle Jerry said “F YOU “ to Fox, who said “F YOU” to Jerry, while both said “F YOU” to us, the fans.

To Mr. Richardson’s credit, he’s opened up his vault to pay the players most of us regard as most valuable.

The things I’m hearing coming out of Ron Rivera’s first Camp Wofford are most encouraging, from Cam’s Peppers-like athletic freakishness, to Steve Smith’s 180 degree turnaround. I am also most excited about the improvement of a young man that could be a game-breaker for us, one Armanti Edwards. Now that I know more about the rank contentiousness of the Richardson-Fox relationship of last year, I’m convinced that the entire draft class of 2010 was summarily under-coached by lame-o-duckie Coach Fox, INCLUDING Jimmy Claussen. And speaking of coaching, I’ve got a very positive vibe about this staff that Coach Rivera has assembled. This is a staff that promises to be aggressive on both offense and defense, with frequent blitzing and extensive use of the tight end. For me, it sounds like a recipe for excitement, if not success. Of course, time will tell if we’ve got the right folks here to end the sucky-ness and mediocrity that had become John Fox’s legacy, and to return to the championships that spoiled us years ago. And, still, I’m sad to see Fox’ legacy with us to be that mediocrity, instead of those glorious seasons of victory. I do wish him well in Denver.

But one thing’s for certain – this isn’t status quo. Which is good enough for right now to give me –

A reason to care. And I hope that it’s given you all a reason to care. A reason to come to the lot and get fired up, to catch a buzz on the concoction your Miss December PantherFanz and I are developing for your tailgating pleasure. A reason to click on the website and read my rants and look at the pictures and plan your Sundays around the party in the Cedar Street Lot.

The preseason is here. NFL football is back. The next four months could be the best of the year for us. And right now, I care. I’m excited. Show me sumphin’, Coach Ron! Show me sumphin’, Cam! Show me, Panthers, that last year was a sick aberration! I’ll be there.

Gotta Comment?
Email me, the Cedar Street Seer
CaptnTee@aol.com

No comments: